Richard Malouf Calls the Cops On Me — Candy — for Taking Pics of His Water Park Parts!

No handcuffs yet, I’m still able to blog. While I was touring a gorgeous home in Kessler today, noonish, another Dan Nelson treasure (stay tuned, stay very tuned), Robert Wilonsky at the Dallas Morning News emails me that I’m in trouble: Richard Malouf filed a complaint against me with the Dallas Police Department. Read this all quickly on my iphone and called Robert, per his request, to do some ‘splaining. (No doubt my husband will be wanting some next.) It seems Richard Malouf is not happy that I took some photos of his front yard lined with the future components of his Water World. And he claims that I entered his construction gates to do so:

ON LISTED DATE SND TIME, SUSP ENTERED PRIVATE PROPERTY THROUGH A CONSTRUCTION
GATE. SUSP TOOK PICTURES OF PROPERTY AND POSTED THEM TO HERWEBSITE CALLED
CANDYSDIRT.COM. SUSP DID NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO BE ON PROPERTY AND LEFT BEFORE
ROS ARRIVAL. NFI
Crime

The offense date on the report is 8/22/12. That would be Wednesday, yesterday. Nope, sorry, I was way up north yesterday in Allen. I met real estate agent extraordinaire Suneetha Chaparala for lunch at Legacy — we dined al fresco at Nicola — did you know they closed the Preston Center location (?) but tell me Legacy is doing just great. I even tweeted it. Then I drove out to Allen to pick up my son’s rehearsal dinner invitations which were being hand-addressed by the “Left-Handed Calligrapher” — you’ve got to see these, then looked at some homes up there, then stopped at Willow Bend Mall and did some shopping. Yesterday was my “let’s pretend you live north of LBJ” day, and I don’t think I even went south of Royal. Maybe they meant Tuesday. Or Monday. But no, I was not on Strait Lane on any of those days.

I was in front of the Malouf manse on Sunday, however, but never went inside the gates. I could have, but know that would be trespassing and disrespectful to the family. Would I want someone walking into my yard? As long as my hair looked good and I have make-up on, I really wouldn’t mind but you know, the Maloufs deserve their privacy. Thing was I got a call from a source Sunday morning telling me the water slides had just been delivered and the gates were in fact, wide open! See, there is a homeowner on Strait Lane who reads my blog and is not too fond of Water Pik Park going in a few doors down. So, I was kind of pooped on Sunday, as we had had a wedding shower chez Evans Saturday night, and I dumped a pitcher of margaritas in my freezer at 1 am — what a mess! (See, Richard, God IS punishing me.) Later Sunday afternoon I drove over to Strait Lane and the gates were still semi open. I saw the slides and snapped away FROM THE DRIVEWAY BY THE STREET! There are no sidewalks on Strait Lane. Love those zooming Leica lenses! I really needed to get higher, and my next car may have to have a fire ladder. In fact, I emailed Byron Harris asking if he could get an aerial for me.

(You can see edge of fence in this shot)

Actually, I was concerned that if the Maloufs had a dog, which I believe they do, he could have gotten out. So I waited for a while in my car to make sure he wasn’t outside and roaming. Had I seen him, then I MIGHT have trespassed, but only to get their dog into safety.

Like I told RW, I am not picking on the Maloufs. We have mutual friends who tell me they are great people. I have heard from some of their unhappy subs — folks who were not paid,  whose work maybe was not up to the homeowner’s expectations, but good hard-working people — and I have refrained from publishing stuff they’ve told me. (Wait for the book!) It is completely their business what they buy and build on their property.

But when they build something as UNUSUAL as a water park, then it becomes mine.

Comments

1. Caroline says

Someone wants to be the next Michael Jackson.. trying to build his onw " NEVERLAND" for little kids… haaa too funny

2. Caroline says

3. Jay Narey says

Hilarious Candy – don't they know that you are a famous real estate maven and this is what you do ?
    You are Dallas' TMZ ! They should be flattered that you stopped by !

4. Jay Narey says

You are Dallas' TMZ ! They should be flattered that you stopped by !

5. critic says

Candy- perhaps you should contact Dr. Malouf and invite him to the Dallas Center for Architecture lecture on Tuesday, August 28 at 6:00 p.m. Kevin Sloan ASLA will be the speaker for the lecture titled "DESIGN BY THE GALLON, ARCHITECTURE AND WATER CONSERVATION." Do you think the doctore would have a slight interest?

6. critic says

7. Lori Martin says

Candy,

When are you going to be on "Nightline?"

I don't know if the Dallas Country Criminal Justice system is ready for a very competent real-estate blogger.

Keep blogging!

8. Lori Martin says

Candy,

When are you going to be on "Nightline?"

Keep blogging!

9. A.W.Walker says

Let people live how they want to live…as long as it's legal. It's his business what he puts on his property as long as it's within code.

• debbie hedges says

I live in Allen and we are under water restrictions. I can only water my lawn twice a week. Having a waterpark in your backyard seems wasteful when there is a water shortage.

10. A.W.Walker says

• debbie hedges says

@Debbie: Richard dug his own well. But still, that's depleting the aqua firs, in my humble personal opinion. At least pools re-circulate and re-fresh the same water. And we also can only water twice a day in Dallas.

1. […] But don’t get too excited. Defense attorney John Carney lives on Strait Lane, indeedy, or at least one of his trusts owns a home at 11484 Strait Lane. But I don’t think he’ll exactly be slip sliding away down at Richard Malouf’s Water Pik Park. […]

2. […] But don’t get too excited. Defense attorney John Carney lives on Strait Lane, indeedy, or at least one of his trusts owns a home at 11484 Strait Lane. But I don’t think he’ll exactly be slip sliding away down at Richard Malouf’s Water Pik Park. […]

3. […] This story may have been my first reckoning that when I write about homes, I write, really, about dreams and aspirations…  homes today have become statements of personal success, trophies, our financial statements on display. Eight thousand square feet is not enough – I want 15,000 and a room of animal heads. Or I want a waterpark for my kids. […]

4. […] This story may have been my first reckoning that when I write about homes, I write, really, about dreams and aspirations…  homes today have become statements of personal success, trophies, our financial statements on display. Eight thousand square feet is not enough – I want 15,000 and a room of animal heads. Or I want a waterpark for my kids. […]