Water Park Slides Have Arrived at the Malouf Manse on Strait Lane & World Now Knows We Are Serious About Medicaid Dental Fraud in Texas

“Texas Drills Down on Medicaid Dental Fraud” (sub. rec.) is the headline in today’s Wall Street Journal. What do they mean by that? Why, maybe a blast from the past biz practices of people like Richard Malouf who is putting in a WaterPark that one reader thinks we ought to christen “WaterPik Park” over on Strait Lane. His gates were wide open on Sunday as trucks heaved in the equipment which is now sitting right in the front yard of what was once 10711 Strait Lane.

That is, as you know, is the Family Sports World.

If any of you were as surprised as I was over this Medicaid deal — I mean, I know what Medicaid reimburses physicians for medical care and it is barely enough to cover the exam table paper in the office — it seems as though the problem stemmed from a 2007 civil lawsuit (that really started in 1993) that made the state increase reimbursement rates for Medicaid dental services:

“The suit, a federal class action filed by parents in 1993 against state officials, alleged Texas was failing in its duty to ensure that children on Medicaid received proper preventative care in dental and other areas. Eligibility for Children’s Medicaid in Texas is pegged to income. In 2007, Texas legislators agreed to settle, conceding that there was a dwindling number of doctors and dentists in the state willing to treat Medicaid patients and agreeing to increase Medicaid-reimbursement rates. A 2012 report by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform offered case studies in various states of supposed Medicaid abuse; it cited dental services in Texas as a particular problem area. By 2010, according to the report, Texas’ Medicaid program was spending more on braces than the other 49 state Medicaid programs spent combined on such orthotics.

This is just what Byron Harris reported, and I wonder why the WSJ doesn’t mention his report. It has also, like always, resulted in the loss of services for kiddos who really need it: All Smiles Dental Professionals P.C., has shuttered 13 orthodontic offices in the Dallas area because of the investigation, leaving an estimated 12,000 Medicaid-eligible patients without care.

But hey, Water-Pik Park is coming! Look at those slides just waiting to be installed! It’s only 6.5 million gallons of water, and Texas sure has plenty of that… right?

Comments

1. Amy Patrick, P.E. says

Someone's kiddo plays little league on the same team as some other kiddo whose daddy is on City Council or is reeeeally high up in the City Engineer's office…

Bless their next-door-neighbor's souls!

2. Amy Patrick, P.E. says

Bless their next-door-neighbor's souls!

3. Margaret Manser says

Just – makes – me – uncomfortable. And I'm a Realtor and all over the American dream. Are these my tax dollars going down the drain?

4. Margaret Manser says

5. Tim Monnich says

6.5 million gallons of water? This makes Lance Armstong using 150,000 gallons/month in Austin look small.

6. Tim Monnich says

7. critic says

The little kiddies better have their mouth guards in place as they swoosh down the government (me the taxpayer) paid for entertainment !

8. critic says

9. Uppercase Matt says

Uh-oh! I assume you've seen the criminal trespass complaint against you (or whoever took those pictures) by Malouf!

10. Uppercase Matt says

11. Debbie Hagan says

I think being listed at number 67 on the Top 100 most Expensive Homes in Dallas list in 2009, was just too much for the old boy. It must have shook his and Stephy Leanne's enormous egos to their cores.

Maybe he was visited by some Boston medium who told him he must "build a home for yourself and for the spirits of the children you have broken. You must never stop building the house. If you continue building, you will live forever. But if you stop, then you will die," like Sarah Winchester.

12. Debbie Hagan says

13. steve stringer says

candy, you are loved! just read r. wilonsky snippet about water park. rw is cool, you are fantastic and byron harris is badass. (while we're at it, becky oliver is a pit bull too! )

14. steve stringer says

1. […] and I have make-up on, I really wouldn’t mind but you know, the Maloufs deserve their privacy. Thing was I got a call from a source Sunday morning telling me the water slides had just been deliv… See, there is a homeowner on Strait Lane who reads my blog and is not too fond of Water Pik Park […]

2. […] and I have make-up on, I really wouldn’t mind but you know, the Maloufs deserve their privacy. Thing was I got a call from a source Sunday morning telling me the water slides had just been deliv… See, there is a homeowner on Strait Lane who reads my blog and is not too fond of Water Pik Park […]