Where Credit is Due: The Dallas Morning News Borrowed Photos From Ebby Realtor’s “Dallas” Listing, But You’d Never Know by Looking

These photos appear to be lifted straight from Paulette Greene’s listing for 2504 Beacon Crest Drive. Should the Dallas Morning News have credited the source?

I was reading an article on DallasNews.com earlier today when I saw one of those teasers on the sidebar that said, “Check out this Plano mega-mansion featured on TNT’s reboot of ‘Dallas’.”

I had to click, of course, if not only because I am infatuated with the new “Dallas” cast, but I wanted to see if they had some cool photos outside of the ones you saw with your own eyes right here on CandysDirt.com.

Well, they were the same ones, folks. I was kind of bummed! I wanted to see new shots, glamorous people, lights, camera, and action! There wasn’t any of that, and you know what else was missing? A link back to the listing, or any type of credit, for that matter.

So, while The Dallas Morning News is capitalizing on the hits that kind of slideshow will bring in, Ebby agent Paulette Greene won’t see any new traffic from it.

What do you think? Should the News have provided a link, or credit at least?

Joanna England

If Executive Editor Joanna England could house hunt forever, she absolutely would. Instead she covers the North Texas housing market and the economy for CandysDirt.com. While she started out with the Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University, Joanna's work has appeared in The Dallas Morning News as well as several local media outlets. When she's not knitting or hooping, or enjoying White Rock Lake, she's behind the lens of her camera. She lives in East Dallas with her husband, son, and their furry and feathered menagerie.

Comments

1. George Hunter says

If they are not willing to do the work themselves they should give credit to the person who is. They should also provide a link.

2. George Hunter says

3. George Hunter says

Going back and looking I found a link that is provided but it is very obscure. "check this listing out"

4. George Hunter says

5. Donna Pirkle says

Yeah, there is credit there? Not sure what you're getting at Candy? They link to the listing and everything!

6. Donna Pirkle says

7. Cheryl says

Perhaps they did some scrambling and added the link. DMN is not known for it's journalistic integrity but at least it looks like they made it right after the fact.

8. Cheryl says

9. mmJoanna England says

When I checked this yesterday evening and wrote the post, there was no credit whatsoever on this slideshow. I guess the DMN added one.

10. mmJoanna England says