Listing No-No’s: When Cruising MLS, What’s Your Biggest Pet Peeve?

Before you take that shot of the master bath, put the toilet lid down!

Apparently, leaving the toilet seat up when photographing a home’s bathroom is enough to get some Realtors’ dander up.

And don’t dare leave cars parked in front of your listing when taking a photo. Or leave the television on. That’s another big one.

Personally? I can’t stand to see smudged and dirty mirrors.

So, tell me, what’s your biggest no-no when it comes to a property listing?

Joanna England

If Executive Editor Joanna England could house hunt forever, she absolutely would. Instead she covers the North Texas housing market and the economy for CandysDirt.com. While she started out with the Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University, Joanna's work has appeared in The Dallas Morning News as well as several local media outlets. When she's not knitting or hooping, or enjoying White Rock Lake, she's behind the lens of her camera. She lives in East Dallas with her husband, son, and their furry and feathered menagerie.

Comments

1. John S. Shore says

Time restrictions for showing, sting agent MUST be present, any pet drama or interference, candles (everyone's taste is different), cookies and bread (seems like you are covering up something), linoleum anything!, dumb sign additions like "I'm beautiful inside," photographs on the refrigerator, clutter of ANY kind, leaving tax documents bills and statements out (I've seen all three), sprinkler systems going on during a showing day, open house or timeframe. I'll be here all week.

2. John S. Shore says

3. John Larkin says

Don't serve guspacho at an open house and try to carry it in a shallow and wide bowl. An agent showing up to view the home may try to help you and spill the soup all over the bleached hardwood floors, the white carpet, and the entire kitchen. Does that sound too personal? Somewhere in the park cities is the listing agent. Twenty five years later…Sorry.

4. John Larkin says

5. Grace says

I hate clutter,crowded closets, boxes packed up, etc. I especially hate when the homeowners are home. That just feels awkward, like you can’t speak honestly and openly.

6. Grace says

7. Cheryl says

Online, it would have to be that the pictures are completely out of order, making it difficult to get a feel for the layout of the home, indicating a level of sloppiness. Also, dark pictures are a turn off, pictures with the pets and lastly, pictures with people in them. I saw a listing a while back that actually had the homeowners in the pictures sitting in the den watching TV and in the kitchen. Crazy stuff.
    At an Open House, there should be in at least one bathroom TP, especially if the property is vacant (obviously not doable if the water has been shut off).
    And finally, whether in a pic online, or in person at a showing or Open House, PUT THE TOILET LID DOWN! *sigh* I feel better now. My husband laughs at me because I'll yell at the computer that the lid should be down in a listing. Guess it's the CDO in me.

8. Cheryl says

9. Jay Narey says

The biggest Listing No-No are agents that enter Listings in NTREIS with no photos of the property – or maybe ONE bad frontal shot. It's well worth the money to have a professional come in and shoot the property properly. I agree with John Shore with the stupid sign riders….my personal favorite is "Honey Stop the Car !" that I have seen agents put on top of their signs. (seriously). I also agree that the Seller(s) should NOT be home during the showing appointment…I have taken Buyers to properties where the Seller literally is breathing over their shoulder from the moment they walk in – narrating the tour of the house describing every detail as if we had just stepped into Castle Howard or something.
    Needless to say my Buyers (sophisticated Europeans) did NOT buy the home.

10. Jay Narey says

Needless to say my Buyers (sophisticated Europeans) did NOT buy the home.

• Jay Narey says

Yes – the big "Z" is a big one particularly on high end property – although I have found that many agents will give you an (off-the-record) "range" that the property sold in if you really need it for a comp.
      Personally I am for "mandatory" price disclosure on all residential and perhaps more importantly commercial property and think it's appalling Texas is one of a handful of states that allows non-disclosure.

• Jay Narey says

11. Derek Phelps says

And another comment on bad photography…your cell phone shouldn't replace a "proper" digital camera (preferably w an external flash…)

12. Derek Phelps says

13. Alex Roostaei says

@ Joanna
    when your client (the husband) says "I always thought I'd enjoy walking in on a naked woman, but I guess I am wrong", its not a good sign. Sad part it, she never woke up, even with us in the room talking for a few seconds, we just left. I still have nightmares.

14. Alex Roostaei says

@ Joanna

15. Jeff Duffey says

What I don't understand is how the homeowners allow their listing agent to market their homes using crappy photos. Can they not see that their agent didn't turn on any lights when he used his cell phone to snap photos? Are they not annoyed at the blurry photos? If the homeowners aren't even taking the time to notice their agent is using terrible photos, then I don't exactly feel sorry for them.

16. Jeff Duffey says

17. Gwendolyn Sadler-Realtor says

My comment is the same as many that I've read here. But the worse is Realtors who do not take the time to take a picture of the house. How can you be in real estate and not have a camera or choose not to put a picture of the house in MLS. You are doing a great disservice to your client. The house might as well be FSBO. MLS is where we go to find houses for our clients. The seller is your client and deserves the best showing of their house. They hired you for that!!

18. Gwendolyn Sadler-Realtor says

19. Rena' Sanchez says

The seller's being home is the worst. I had a client that wanted a small yard, but I found the perfect home on a larger lot and took her to see it. She loved the property, but the whole time the seller followed us around pointing out what a nice big back yard. He almost ruined the sale by continuing to point out the yard and bringing my buyer back to the only negative.
    And people please put pictures in MLS. When there are not pictures I assume the house must be ugly or in bad shape if you can't find anything to take a picture of. I'm just saying….

20. Rena' Sanchez says