Only four families have owned the Victorian mansion on an acre at the corner of Lamar Street and Columbia Street in Weatherford, and now some history-loving buyer will be the fifth.
The home, which sits at 304 S Lamar St., was first home to John D. Baker, a prominent Weatherford resident who started construction on the home intended for he and his wife, Alice, and their growing family, in 1893.
Baker, according to family lore, moved to Hood County from Alabama before finally settling in Weatherford and partnering with another businessman to form Baker-Poston Dry Goods, which ultimately had several store locations in the north central part of Texas.
But the dry goods enterprise wasn’t his only business. He was also head of The Famous Shoe Store; a member of the wholesale grocery company Cameron, Hill and Baker; president of the First National Bank; director of the Crystal Palace Flouring Mills; and had a hand in helping establish Weatherford College.
The next family to own the home would produce a very famous mother and son. Who was it? Head over to SecondShelters.com to find out.