Champ D’Or is Sprucing Up for the Big Time Auction March 30: Did You Know The Master Bath Up There Has Heated Drawers?

No kidding! Recall the piece I wrote earlier this week on a gadzillion bathrooms being the newest building craze? I spent the afternoon up at Champ D’Or in Hickory Creek shooting a video, and you learn something new every day. I have been to Champ a few times but never, ever knew the mansion has heated drawers tucked in the Master bath.

These are impressive: they are deep, metal-lined drawers right next to the vanity, you pop in a robe or towel, turn it on and voila! Toasty warm snuggly towels and robes! I thought I had seen it all in this house. In 20 years you could not see it all.

I also overlooked, the last time I toured, the huge sauna off the Master bath, across from the coffee bar, down the hall from the Chanel closet and beauty salon room. It has beautiful tile work and was patterned after the sauna in the movie The Rat Pack. It also has a Lalique handle on the door. There is so much Lalique in this house, you wonder if they had to set up a temporary factory in Hickory Creek during construction.

Counted bathrooms: 6 regular, 8 powder for a total of 14. One powder off the first elevator has a double sink, much like a commercial powder room.

I interviewed Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s Joan Eleazer, the first, middle and (hopefully) last agent who will represent Champ, at least for the Goldfields. I asked her how she got the listing, since she was the very first agent. (Remember, we had a contest here on CandysDirt.com asking people to name all the agents to win tickets to Agent ReBoot: Joan, Doris Jacobs, Greg Cagle, Joan, Elaine Whitfield, Cindy Frey, Joan. By the way, each agent spent about $100,000 marketing the Champ, except for Greg Cagle who spent $150K.) Joan told me that it was because of Sotheby’s that she got the listing. Briggs was affiliated with Sotheby’s initially, then Christie’s, and now back to Sotheby’s. Shirly and Alan Goldfield, the owners, had decided to sell the home before they even finished it. (And they spent five years building it!) They called Sotheby’s, who contacted Robbie Briggs. Out drove Robbie and Joan up I-35 to Turbeville Road in Hickory Creek for the shock of their life: 48,000 square feet of a near replica of Vaux le Vicomte, a  17th century French château  35 miles southeast of Paris, not too far off the highway. Workers were still on scaffolding finishing up all the work. Shirley Goldfield was a perfectionist, and every inch of the home had to be utter perfection. I noticed little things today like sound-proof doors to the home theater and storage, storage everywhere. The Goldfields even bought a jewelry store in Paris, Texas and brought in all the cabinets and shelving to create their Butler’s pantry. There is an island in the Butler’s pantry that opens at one end and stores a full size Brown Jordan serving cart. There is nothing, nothing Shirley didn’t think of. The house is 48,000 square feet and has a tea room, garden room, ballroom and mini-theater. The over 30 acres of property include a swimming pool, tennis court and a lake. The style of the house mimics a French Chateau and the center dome is 78 feet high. There’s a two-story mahogany library with cabinets for books so you don’t see them, that private hair salon, Rat Pack steam room, weight room, gift wrap room and as well as a bowling alley, ballroom and racquet ball court. The house has two elevators but you still need GSP inside. Joan also told me that there were not that many showings because, after all, who could qualify for a home of this price? I would be surprised, she said, if I knew which high profile (and very qualified) Dallas families seriously looked at it, liking the location. Alas, they did not bite. Not one nibble. Anyhoo, the folks from Channel 8 were up there today, my pal Steve “Stole-her” and crew, Steve telling me he had always wanted to see inside the Champ. See he did, today.

Comments

1. I Heart Candy says

Candy – Why isn’t Sotheby’s Auction House handling the auction? One would think the auction house is a value of working with a Sotheby’s franchise office.

2. I Heart Candy says

3. Joan Eleazer says

Concierge Auctions is our Sotheby's affiliate. They've been extremely successful with other auctions and we're excited to have them partner with us!

4. Joan Eleazer says

5. Really? says

If you do some research, Sotheby's Real Estate and Sotheby's auction house actually have no official connection – the real estate business was sold to a company that also owns Coldwell Banker and Century 21, the only thing they have in common is the name. Which is why Champ is being auctioned by some third party auction house and not the elite and respected Sotheby's auction house. So it sounds like the Sotheby's smoke and mirrors is actually just that. Google it.

6. Really? says

7. I Heart Candy says

I looked up info on the Concierge website – looks like they work with almost all real estate companies, including Sotheby’s. So how exactly is Sotheby’s bringing an advantage without the official Sotheby’s Auction House?

8. I Heart Candy says

9. Wando says

If you dig a little deeper about Concierege, turns out one of their executives was run out of Florida…. http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100419/COLUMNIST/4191060

I guess he slips in an out of the state, because my realtor friend in Vero Beach told me they just had an auction there that wasnt too good according to her friend. The high bid was $3.5M and the owner was ticked because a previous auction they tried and rejected was $5.5M.

10. Wando says

11. Really? says

Keep digging and you’ll see that Sotheby’s parent company, Cendant, owns Days Inn and Super 8 Motels. Formerly owned Budget Rent A Car. I’m sure Al and Shirley Goldfield would love to know they are listed by the conglomerate comprised of all things lower middle class. Is this the amazing Sotheby’s advantage Robbie Briggs splashes on every piece of media he can before his Sotheby’s start up money runs out in a few months? Guess it’s a fitting partnership since Champ D’Or will soon be surrounded by cookie cutter aspirational homes. Go Sotheby’s!

12. Really? says

13. If that is so..... says

Champ D’Or will make a great Clubhouse for the cookie cutter aspirational homes around it. Seeing that all 3 real estate companies are owned by the same parent company, I would have chosen the most tech forward company – Alicia Trevino Uptown C21 FINE HOMES AND ESTATES.

Just sayin'

• Kristian Peterson says

Thanks for the vote of confidence. As Exec Director of Operatins at Century 21 Alicia Trevino Uptown, we are quite proud to be oe of the tech leaders in our industry…….Trying to do everything paperless on our iPads in 2012. Knowledge is Power and Alicia Trevino is one of the most knowledgeable REALTORS that I have ever worked with!

14. If that is so..... says

Just sayin'

• Kristian Peterson says

15. Omar Gentry says

When you are tired and falling asleep at the wheel a Motel 6 will do just fine. This outfit sold Cher's house I think they can handle Champ just fine, thank You.

16. Omar Gentry says

17. Kristian Peterson says

Actually, I believe that REALOGY is the name of the parent company that owns Southebys, Coldwell Banker, Century 21 and ERA Real Estate.

18. Kristian Peterson says

19. GCB Watcher says

Well of course it will probably sell – it's a fire sale. Candy – my question is what's the value of all the imported chandeliers, Sheryl Wagner fixtures, Lalique pieces, fine carpets and wallpapers, appliances, electrical systems, etc. Could someone purchase this home for the reserve of $10.3 million, strip the house completely as you see with a lot of short sales, and make some money by selling off the parts? That would leave a shell of a house that could be bull dozed and the land could be divided and sold for more profit. Probably not the ending Shirley Goldfield had in mind for her dream, but how likely is that scenario?

• Zelda Rose says

If you could get the house for the minimum, then yes, you could probably strip it, bulldoze the place, and resell the property at a profit. I do believe though that any selling price will be too high to make such a concept prohibitive.

And I am not so confident that it will sell. It's in a bad location, the taxes are high, and the cost to maintain the house (not to mention whatever repairs/upgrades need to be done to a house that has never been lived in) are three big strikes against it.

20. GCB Watcher says

• Zelda Rose says

@GCB: great question, one that has crossed my mind. I'll check in with an appraiser on that. The interiors inside ar so beautiful, and as I said during my Zillow stand-up: the plates on the wall are worth the reserve! (Almost!)