By Sarah Zubiate
Founder and Farmer at ZUBI’S
The weather is changing and so is my increased need for warmth, wine, snuggles, and soup. OK, OK … my need for wine hasn’t changed all that much since COVID, but it made for a nice tune of alliteration.
My kids absolutely love soup — something they get from their mama! One of our favorites is my Mexican Tortilla Soup, filled with, of course, ZUBI’S All-Natural Salsa. In order to make the most delicious soup, you’ll need your favorite stockpot (check out the Mauviel Copper Stock Pot, it’s amazing!), a hand mixer (such as the Breville Hand Mixer which is a huge time saver), and … WINE!
Speaking of wine, I notoriously cook all of my dinners with a glass of some in hand.
There’s nothing better than whirling away in the kitchen, fixing a lovely, tasty meal for family and/or friends than with a lovely glass of wine and some good music.
If you haven’t read my previous posts, my family and I live between Highland Park and at our ranch/farm in East Texas. While COVID was at its height, my family and five other families quarantined together at the ranch. Five families with tons of active kiddos running around equaled an insane amount of constantly hungry people, so we created a meal “sign up sheet.” It was quite chaotic, but it certainly shed light on how our ancestors lived.
In the end, everyone knew that when I was cooking, music would be jamming and wine would be in hand. I live for my favorite wine glass, an appropriate complementary wine, and some good music!
Now, back to my yummy Mexican Tortilla Soup recipe. I would love to hear from you if you try it out!
ZUBI’S CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
(including options for plant-based, Top 8 Allergen-Free – ZUBI’S VEGETARIAN or VEGAN TORTILLA SOUP)
- (2) 16 oz Jars of ZUBI’S Salsa
- 4 chicken breasts (omit the chicken for the plant-based version and instead, add 2 cans of drained black beans)
- 3 large carrots (sliced)
- 1/2 c Organic Coco Aminos Gingery Lime (I like Big Tree Farms brand)
- (2) 32 oz. low sodium chicken broth (replace with vegetable broth for plant-based version)
- (2) 15 oz cans low sodium kidney beans (drained)
- (2) 15 oz cans sweet corn
- 1 T – 1/4 c arrowroot starch/flour for thickening (I like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 avocados
- lime wedge
- tortilla strips
- Queso fresco as an optional topping (omit for plant-based version or add crumbled tree line cheese in its place)
- Place chicken in skillet with (1) 16 oz jar ZUBI’S salsa and 1/2 c Aminos
- Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth and the other 16 oz jar of ZUBI’S salsa to a boil in a large pot
- Add in carrots, corn & drained beans into the pot
- When the chicken is cooked enough and is easy to handle, shred using the hand mixer and return the shredded chicken to the skillet to thoroughly cook the chicken. Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, add it to the pot.
- Add 1 T – 1/4 c arrowroot flour to thicken the consistency of the soup to your liking
- Allow this to sit over a low flame for about 10 – 15 minutes before serving
- Serve in a bowl and top with tortilla strips, avocado, cilantro, and a lime wedge with the optional queso fresco sprinkled on top.