Tuesday Two Hundred: ’70s Era Contemporary Has Me Hearing HAL

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

Seriously, this house could be a set for 2001: A Space Odyssey! Everything is white, white, white, and there’s a “reading tube” that reminds me of several scenes from Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece, but this one particularly strikes a chord!

The home, 16919 Brushfield Dr., was built in 1979, and Kubrick’s 2001 hit theaters in 1968, so it’s doubtful that the architect was inspired by the film. Still, this house is so cool! I love the sunken living room, which is super common for the era. But what sells this house is the natural light. Because there are practically no walls and some cool floor-to-ceiling windows, there is tons of it. You’ll hardly need to flick a switch with all of the windows.

There are three bedrooms (four if you don’t want an office downstairs) and three baths in this 3,185-square-foot home marketed by Peggy Millheiser of Dave Perry-Miller. It’s located in a neighborhood we don’t often feature, too: Tioga East. I guess at $289,000 you’re paying for style and schools, which are Richardson ISD.

Yes, the master bath is a little, um, weird, but don’t let that discourage you! There’s plenty more fabulousness throughout the home!

Other things I love about this house: The covered rear patio, the spiral staircase, and the fact that it’s on a cul-de-sac. This might be the perfect house for a family with a couple of starchildren (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh wait, that wasn’t a very good joke …)

Joanna England

If Executive Editor Joanna England could house hunt forever, she absolutely would. Instead she covers the North Texas housing market and the economy for CandysDirt.com. While she started out with the Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University, Joanna's work has appeared in The Dallas Morning News as well as several local media outlets. When she's not knitting or hooping, or enjoying White Rock Lake, she's behind the lens of her camera. She lives in East Dallas with her husband, son, and their furry and feathered menagerie.

Comments

Starchildren!!! Love it and love this house Miss Jo! That master bath can be changed with a wave of the laser gun and about $20K…oh wait, that's more of a Star Wars analogy, right?

3. Cheryl says

My husband is not big on contemporaries, but when I showed this listing to him last week, he actually liked it. Yes, that master bath is underwhelming, but that back yard and the openness of the living areas more than make up for its shortcomings.

4. Cheryl says

5. mmJoanna England says

I would definitely take a blaster to the master bath, Candy! Otherwise, this house is really amazing!

6. mmJoanna England says

7. peggy says

This is a terrific home! Legend has it that the original owner wanted a home based on Montessori teachings. She incorporated nooks for reading, surrounded by natural light, and views of the outdoors from every room. The reading tube is a central focus of the house, and makes one want to just curl up with a good book.

8. peggy says