Celebrity Psychologist Dr. Phil McGraw Snaps up Preston Hollow Estate on Deloache

So this is all very hush hush, because almost every agent involved in this transaction has had to sign an NDA, very typical when you work with a star. So NO ONE is talking … except the neighbors.

But that’s what happens when you have a celebrity like Dr. Phil McGraw move into the neighborhood.

His new Preston Hollow neighbors tell us Dr. Phil and his wife, Robin, are indeed their new neighbors on Deloache in Old Preston Hollow. The famous couple snapped up a gorgeous newly built estate a few weeks ago, officially making Deloache rival Strait Lane as the most celebrity-saturated street in Dallas.

We have long lusted after this estate, from the moment the classical Italian Mediterranean designed by architect Patrick Ford was built in 2017. The showpiece home is a perfect home for the McGraws, transitioning back to Texas from California.

First of all, it’s huge: the home has more than 14,000 square feet, seven bedrooms, eight full baths plus five half baths, seven living areas including a media room with stadium seating, a lounge with built-in bar, wood-paneled library, a family room with ceiling timbers, and a basement wine cellar that accommodates 5,000 bottles.

The residence also has an elevator to all three floors, multiple outdoor living spaces, and a swimming pool with spa. Once listed for $13.95 million the home was most recently listed with Kyle Crews at Allie Beth Allman for $11.995 million.

Mark Cuban lives on Deloache, as do several prominent names including Nancy Nasher and David Haemisegger, who run NorthPark Center (and may be building down the street), developer Richard Enthoven, attorney Bill Brewer, and Jim and Julie Turner.

Could it be that Dr. Phil, who was born in Oklahoma, returned to Texas because of California political shenanigans? If so, that makes him one of about 700,000 Californians moving to the Lone Star state since 2008.

Or maybe it was our great homes and he wants to work from home? Dr. Phil came under a bit of fire (who hasn’t?) this April for questioning stay-at-home restrictions put in place to contain the spread of COVID-19 in a Fox News appearance, worrying as a clinical psychologist about all this isolation’s effect on the public’s mental state.

In an appearance on Fox News’ The Ingraham Angle, Dr. Phil suggested it was dangerous to shut down the economy in order to stop the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The fact of the matter is 40,000 people die a year from automobile accidents. 480,000 from cigarettes. 360,000 a year die from swimming pools, but we don’t shut the country down for that. But yet we’re doing it for this?”

Dr. Phil McGraw

The McGraws’ move is great news for Dallas.

Though he’s not a billionaire — according to internet research, Dr. Phil is worth about $440 million — he joins the surge in ultra-high net worth folks moving to D-FW according to a report released by Wealth-X: D-FW saw a 17 percent jump in super-rich residents from 2018 to 2019, making DFW home to 3,165 ultra-high-net-worth individuals last year. That makes the area No. 10 among ultra-wealthy cities in the world.

I’m a huge Dr. Phil fan.

He’s real, forthright, and espouses common sense. You may recall he got his start in Texas when his jury consulting company advised Oprah Winfrey with her successful defense of the lawsuit against her by the Texas cattle industry. If there is one thing we need more of in this city, it’s mental health care, and my head is already swimming with ideas on the ways Dr. Phil and his family can become involved.

Would Dr. Phil, who is 70, consider a Dallas City Council run? His home is smack in the heart of District 13, and Jennifer Staubach Gates is termed out next year. Not only do we need a celebrity at the horseshoe at City Hall, even more vitally: we need a psychologist!

Comments

1. Teri Butler says

Congrats Dr.phil and Robin its absolutely amazing and gorgeous you’ll never find your puppies l! I’m so HAPPY for the both of you and again congratulations

• Brian Peterman says

Joanna, how can you call this simple reporting and not celebrating? The author describes herself as a “huge Dr. Phil fan”, says that he’s “real, forthright, and espouses common sense” and that his family’s moving here is “great news for Dallas”, and even practically begs him to run for city council. I don’t think you could make a more laudatory article if you tried. I also think it’s important to point out that that quote from him is total nonsense that has been debunked everywhere, here’s one example of many: https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2020/on-fox-news-dr-phil-said-360000-americans-die-in-swimming-pools-every-year-hes-wrong-by-magnitudes/
        He blabbers junk psychology that’s useless at best and often reckless and dangerous

• mmJoanna England says

I can see your perspective.

I think that, considering the charged environment and the politicization of the coronavirus pandemic, that a lot of people would take issue with Dr. Phil’s comparison in that quote. However, Candy’s a big believer in masking up (her husband’s a doctor) and taking social distancing seriously. However, I don’t think that worrying about what extended quarantine is doing to mental health and taking precautions when in public are mutually exclusive issues.

• mmCandy Evans says

That is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it! In fact, thank you for sharing it. I am a strong supporter of masking/social distancing, but I do have friends and acquaintances who are not. I will not judge anyone, friend or acquaintance, on reactions to COVID especially those uttered in March/April of this year. This has been an unprecedented, almost diabolical year and we have all reacted differently. I respect and appreciate the good that Dr. Phil has done in his long career and in media. Having had a family member die from suicide, if Dr. Phil’s “junk psychology” stopped at least one person from suicide, then it is valuable.

• stephanie says

CDC has changed their guild lines like people change their underwear. Stop acting like the CDC knows everything, they just last week came out saying now the virus is not really airborne but close contact is worst of people is what bad. So no, for me science will not be over God and common sense..stop living in fear and mad others won’t join you.

• Tonya says

He does. View the episodes from his home talking to those refusing to wear a mask and social distance. Additionally, current episodes follow guidelines.
      As a counselor, my clients are dealing with an exteme increase of anxiety that fear and isolation is causing. From the beginning, Dr. Faucci has expressed considerable concerned about the mental aspects of isolation. One size does not fit all.

2. Angie says

I guess I should say congrats on their new home, never understood why people with money need such huge properties , I really learned a lot from his show and have quoted some of his stuff, but I think that when he first started he was more settled. Now I feel that he is condesending, shakes his head at what people are saying that need his help. His arms get folded and go up to his torso being disrespectful. He shuts people down when they are trying to tell their stories. That’s what they’re there for, not to compassionate, I have my issues also but would never be on his show, I would not allow him to disrespect me ,help or no help, Dr Phil I really like your show but come down a notch

3. Joanne lorentz says

I really love the dr. Phil show, I would really appreciate it if there wasn’t so much swearing on your show, it doesn’t become you or the show, I believe you are a person of integrity, swearing by you or the guests does , does not show the importance of your show, you help people, I do too, but I would never think of swearing, thank you❤️

4. Tammy says

What I think is people should be happy for them and not involve all the bull going on in the world. Its a very nice house. And all the mess and his show has nothing to do with any of it just be happy for them. Congratulations on new house

5. Mary says

Have you ever thought that Dr. Phil and his wife are moving to Texas because of the fires or the property values are better in Texas?

I like that you shared the article and I am happy when people are being prosperous.
    You just didn’t need to put politics into it. Californian’s are tax paying citizens that deserve to get help from the government as well as anyone else and it should matter what there politics are
    Couldn’t they just have moved there because they wanted to?.

• BlueDallaa says

I agree. That’s where this article went left or maybe it went right! LOL. It was off putting to say the least. We get enough about politics in other media. We don’t need it here.

6. Dr. Timothy B. Jones says

Any people that can pay their own way being attracted to Dallas is good for Dallas. If the McGraw’s celebrity shine a little more positive light on Dallas, it’s even better! So congratulations to the McGraw’s, Old Preston Hollow and the City of Dallas! And thank you CandysDirt for keeping us informed about it! Let’s move on.

• Casey Lencionci says

What is the big deal? I am always fascinated to know where famous people live. Everybody makes it all about politics. I like Dr. Phil and his wife Robin, and have for years. He is actually from Dallas, and went to college at UNT in Denton in the 70s. They have lived in Dallas before and owned property here. They are not ‘migrating” from California. They have owned property here before and may still own their high rise condo that is close by to this house, at NW Hwy. and the Tollway. I had a friend that lived at The Shelton, (highrise) and he has seen Dr. Phil in the lobby at that place more than once.

7. Dennis says

Congratulations, Dr. Phil and Robin! Beautiful home. We drove by today and I could just envision you driving into your new estate. We live nearby, in a modest house by comparison but so happy to welcome you to Dallas and to our zip code. Maybe we’ll say hello at Central Market in days to come.