Neighborhood Spotlight: Munger Place Has a Tumultuous Past, Bright Future

The next area of the Old East Dallas neighborhood to be featured in our Neighborhood Spotlight is the ever-popular Munger Place. Comprised of over 250 households and the largest collection of Prairie-style homes in America, Munger Place has a lot to be proud of — past and present.

Munger Place History: The Rise, the Fall, And The 1980s

In 1905, cotton gin manufacturer Robert S. Munger and his brother decided to create “The City Man’s Home.” To attract the right social element, Munger Place was carefully planned. Just minutes from downtown Dallas, Munger Place became the very first deed-restricted neighborhood in Texas. Homes required a full two stories, had to cost at least $2,000 to build, and could not face a side street. The infrastructure featured new amenities of the time, such as sidewalks, paved streets, shade trees, sewers, gas mains, and electric street lights. Many of Dallas’ leading businessmen and social elite soon called magnificent Munger Place home.

According to the Munger Place Historic District, the history of the area is quite tumultuous:

The Great Depression of 1929 almost destroyed Munger Place. Owners began converting their homes into apartments and taking in boarders. The housing shortage following World War II helped perpetuate this trend toward multi-family housing and led to a general decline of the neighborhood. By the late 1960s, many of these once-stately homes were condemned, torn down, or literally falling apart.

In the mid-1970s, an ambitious group of urban pioneers moved in to reclaim Munger Place. Artists were drawn to the 10- and 12-foot ceilings, wide open entry halls, and bright sunlight streaming through the large, leaded glass windows. Many of the dilapidated houses were brought for less than the original 1905 construction costs. Having rescued Munger Place from total destruction, the slow restoration process began.

In 1980, area residents persuaded the city of Dallas to create the title of Munger Place Historic District. It is now recognized by the United States National Register of Historic Places.

Neighborhood Groups/Organizations

The Munger Place Historic District Association (MPHDA) is a section 501(c) 4 non-profit organization whose goal and mission is to preserve the architectural integrity of Munger Place. MPHDA sponsors an annual Tour of Homes and other events throughout the year and holds quarterly General Sessions to discuss issues affecting the Historic District and Association business matters. Membership is voluntary and is available only to homeowners residing in the Munger Place Historic District.

Separate and distinct from the MPHDA, and created in a partnership with the city of Dallas, is the Munger Place Alliance Against Crime (MPAAC), a section 501(b) 4 organization. The MPAAC was formed in the early 1990s to ensure the safety of its residents and their property. Membership to the Alliance is voluntary and open to all residents of Munger Place for an annual fee.

Munger Place is in the Dallas Independent School District. The DISD website is at DallasISD.org. Munger Place’s community schools include Lipscomb Elementary (PK-5), Long Middle School (6-8), and Woodrow Wilson High School. Residents’ children also attend Dealey Montessori (PK-8), various magnet schools in the district, as well as a variety of private schools in and around the area.

On The Market

Currently in Munger Place, two of the historical beauties on the market are located on Victor Street, quite nearby each other at 5015 and 5007 Victor Street.

5015 Victor Street

Located in the heart of Munger Place, this 1912 Craftsman features an inviting porch that cozies up to the front of the home. Upon entrance to the large foyer, wonderful hardwood floors are joined by exquisite detail and modern updates. Featuring 4 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms, this home is a combination of a timeless past and modern amenities, including a full updated kitchen.

This beauty is being presented by Karen Hettrick with Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s International Realty. It has only been on the market a few days, and if time is any indicator, it probably won’t be on the market long!

 

 5007 Victor Street

Four bedrooms, two-and-a-half baths, and a wonderfully spacious and lovely front porch are all included with the beauty at 5007 Victor Street. The 3,340 square-foot home is on a 7,710-square-foot lot in Munger Place.

Built in 1909 by E. S. Lauderdale, county judge and Dallas attorney, this home is a lovely and rich piece of Munger Place history. Current owners have added numerous modern touches while considering the home’s history and ambiance. Some of those upgrades include the additions of a Wolf range top; Wolf convection and steamer ovens; Wolf recirculating vent system, Kitchen Aid Pro dishwasher; and Kitchen Aid refrigerator/freezer. Maintaining the friendly, open atmosphere of the neighborhood, upgraded fencing was installed at the back of the home.  In addition, a gas furnace was installed downstairs, and a garage door opener was installed as well.

This bit of history at 5007 Victor St. has been on the market just over one month and is located in the Dallas ISD. Nearby schools include Lipscomb Elementary School, Long Middle School, and Wilson High School.  The home is being presented by Paul Rabago for $719,000.