Can you live La Vie Boeheme in Dallas anymore? It seems like, with all of the increases in property valuation, it’s getting harder and harder for artists to live in Big D. Rents are up throughout the city, but in areas with high levels of walkability that are close to transit, shopping, and jobs demand even higher prices.
And that’s leaving some folks in Dallas a little salty. According to Apartment List’s Sept. 2016 rent report:
Dallas rents grew by 0.1% in the last month
Dallas rent prices increased by 0.1% between July and August and are up 6.5% over August 2015, a larger year-over-year increase than statewide and national averages. 1-bedrooms in Dallas have a median rent price of $1,210, while 2-bedrooms cost $1,610.
Dallas remains the most expensive city for renters in the metro
- Plano: Plano is 2nd only to Dallas for highest rents in the Dallas metro. 2-bedrooms there cost $1,500, while 1-beds run $1,140. Plano also showed the 2nd largest rent increase, up 8.8% year-over-year.
- McKinney: McKinney is the 3rd most expensive city for renters in the metroplex. A 2-bedroom has a median rent of $1,370, and 1-bedrooms cost $980.
- Irving: Rent prices in Irving are the 4th highest in the metro. 2-bedrooms in Irving have a median rent of $1,330, and 1-beds cost $980. Irving rents increased by 8.2% over last year.
Yikes! We have to wonder if the lack of affordable housing will mean more people opening up that restaurant in Santa Fe, or more people may see these climbing prices as Dallas saying, “Take Me or Leave Me.”
At any rate, if you’re feeling the pinch of high rents, we want to give you a pair of tickets to see RENT at the AT&T Performing Arts Center during the legendary Broadway show’s Sept. 20 premiere at the Winspear Opera House.
Jump to enter!
To enter our giveaway for two free tickets to RENT at the AT&T Performing Arts Center on Sept. 20 at 7:30 p.m:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and daytime phone number,
- then comment below with your favorite song from this long-running Broadway musical!
The contest closes at 3 p.m. Friday, Sept. 16, at which time we will choose our winner. Good luck!