Developer David Craig was in the right place at the right time when he bought the first tracts of land for Craig Ranch 15 years ago, north of State Highway 121 in McKinney.
With northward expansion of the population and careful planning by Craig for the mixed-use development, the 2,200-acre planned community has been hugely successful, with 2,359 houses, more than 1,000 apartment homes, retail, and commercial space. It is one of the largest developments in Collin County and more than 9,000 people call Craig Ranch home; in January, it enters the final phases of residential build-out.
For Craig, that means plans to build a final 1,434 houses and more than 3,000 apartment homes over the next 28 months. Builders will be Ashton Woods Homes, Beazer Homes, Darling Homes, David Weekley Homes, Landon Homes, and Megatel, with houses ranging in price from $300,000 to more than $600,000. Craig’s partner in the development is VanTrust Real Estate.
“This final phase of residential construction in Craig Ranch is timed perfectly with the strong housing demand in the area,” David Craig, founder and developer of Craig Ranch, told GlobeSt.com. “We expect to have 20,000 residents when this next generation of homes is complete in about five years.” Jump to read more!
Part of Craig Ranch’s popularity is due to its proximity to job creation along the Dallas North Tollway. Also, Money Magazine named McKinney the nation’s top small city in 2014 (with populations between 50,000 and 300,000), noting the area is a hotbed for growth-industry jobs, green energy, aviation, and medical services.
“Deciding to invest in a city like McKinney was easy,” Craig said. “This region offers residents excellent job opportunities, attractions that range from recreation to arts to festivals, great schools and wonderful people. I love living here.”
The other part of Craig Ranch’s “secret sauce” is its master plan, which works to create an active, healthy lifestyle for residents. It has more than 400 acres of green space, creeks, and parks that connect via running and biking trails to the five-star TPC Craig Ranch golf course.
Other recreational amenities include the Ballfields, which attract tournament play from around the country, the McKinney Soccer Fields, which host league matches and clinics, a hockey facility, and training program for high school athletes.
Existing neighborhoods at Craig Ranch include:
- Craig Ranch North – Single-family homes from the $150s
- The Estates at Craig Ranch – Huntington Homes from the $800s on half-acre to full-acre home sites
- Hemmingway at Craig Ranch – Townhomes from $180s
- The Fairways at Craig Ranch – Landon Homes building single-family homes from the $330s
- The Retreat at Craig Ranch – Single-family homes and townhomes from the $270s
- The Settlement at Craig Ranch – Custom lots available
- Town Center District – TPC Craig Ranch, Cooper Fitness Center & Spa, Van Tuyl Plaza, Veterans Memorial Park in McKinney, and Time Square
- The Villas at Craig Ranch – Single-family houses from the upper $300s