Well, the Dallas Police Department has restored the public’s access to online incident reports. However, the juicy narratives are missing from said reports; the cops say they’re still working out the kinks. Based on how this has gone so far, look for things to be fully up and running no later than Thanksgiving.
The thing is, we didn’t have time to peruse the new-and-(sort-of)-improved DPD site because there was a crime wave (relatively speaking) in Highland Park. The excitement started at 1:40 a.m. on Aug. 16, when an officer noticed a small hole in a window on a green 2007 Honda CRV in the 3100 block of St. Johns Drive. The vehicle’s owner said the window had been intact when he last saw it at 8:30 p.m.
Before dawn, similar damage had been inflicted on a black 2011 Cadillac Escalade and a beige 2004 Chevy Tahoe in the same block, as well as …
- A silver 2000 Mercedes CL500 and a red 1998 Ford Explorer, both in the 3200 block of St. Johns
- A white Audi S4 (year undisclosed), a black 2005 Chevy Tahoe, and a gray 2014 GMC Acadia, all in the 3300 block of Drexel Drive
- A silver 2014 Bentley and a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (color undisclosed), both in the 3400 block of Drexel.
Each of these incident reports said the window appeared to have been hit by an unknown projectile. Meanwhile, in what we can only assume is a related case, a miscreant fired two bullets at an attached garage in the 3500 block of St. Johns Drive between 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 15 and 6 p.m. on Aug. 16. The bullets damaged a black 2014 Range Rover and a metal sign in the garage.
Click through to read about more residential crimes in the Park Cities.
- At 7:40 a.m. on Aug. 15, a contractor saw a yellow two-door car peel out of a driveway in the 4300 block of Lorraine Avenue. When officers arrived at the house, they found the front door open, and they also discovered that someone had thrown a brick through a back-door window. The homeowner was out of town, but officers got him on the phone and confirmed that two wall-mounted TVs had been stolen.
- At 12:05 p.m. on Aug. 15, a resident of the 3100 block of Cornell Avenue reported that her lawn mower and an extension cord were stolen from her attached garage between Aug. 1 and Aug. 10. Although the victim admitted that she may have left her garage open, she told police the theft could be related to a dispute she has with a flooring company over allegedly shoddy work and withheld payment. The flooring company still has keys to her home, so an officer advised her to get her locks changed immediately.
- Between 8 and 9 p.m. on Aug. 15, a silver and pink Trek bicycle was stolen from outside a house in the 3100 block of Mockingbird Lane.
- After 11 p.m. on Aug. 10, a thief stole an $800 pair of Tom Ford sunglasses and a $500 Smith & Wesson gun from a white 2009 GMC Yukon that had been left unlocked in the 3100 block of Westminster Avenue.
- At 1:20 a.m. on Aug. 12, a resident of the 4300 block of Southwestern Boulevard woke up to find his silver 2008 Mercedes GL450 was on fire. He doused the flames with a bottle of water before dialing 911. A police report classified the incident as arson.
- Between 6 and 8 p.m. on Aug. 12, the following items were stolen from a master bedroom closet in the 4100 block of Hyer Avenue: $8,000 worth of jewelry, two watches with a combined value of $3,800, a $300 iPhone, and $40 in cash.
- Between 8:15 and 8:20 p.m. on Aug. 12, someone repeatedly rang a doorbell in the 4200 block of Emerson Avenue but ran away before the homeowner could answer the door.
- Between 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 12 and 9 a.m. on Aug. 13, a miscreant used an unknown tool to damage a window on a silver 2009 GMC Acadia in the 2900 block of Rosedale Avenue.
- Between noon on June 20 and 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 13, a thief stole a Texas license plate from a silver 2010 BMW 328i in the 3400 block of Rankin Street.
- Between 8:45 and 9:20 a.m. on Aug. 14, a thief stole a $400 Trek bicycle from an attached garage that had been left open in the 3400 block of Granada Avenue.
- Between 8:30 p.m. on Aug. 13 and 12:30 p.m. on Aug. 14, a thief stole a $600 Trek bicycle from a detached garage that had been left open in the 3600 block of Asbury Avenue.
- Between noon on Aug. 13 and 2 p.m. on Aug. 14, a thief stole a $1,200 Trek bicycle from the 3400 block of McFarlin Boulevard. There was no word on whether the bike was in a garage, locked or otherwise.