What Percentage of Real Estate Buyers Use Social Media For Leads?

95%. And that was in 2008. Could be even higher now. By social media I mean Facebook and Twitter and all the clones out there. This from a trusted source who just returned from the National Association of Realtors convention in New Orleans. Another fact, and one solid reason why I am pouring myself into this blog: Gen X and Y use social media for just about everything. Gen Y, those 20 to 35 year olds — my kids — will buy 6 to 12 homes in their lifetime and they will be around the world, not in the same city they were born in or even where they live. They are what I call socially nomadic: their friends are cyber-linked and travel with them in their phones. They will buy — and rent — many homes in various places and party on with whoever happens to be in the ‘hood and closest by. Then it’s onto the next stop.

But do you really want to hear about listings on FaceBook? Twitter, maybe. How many smart agents do you know who chat on about their listings on Facebook?

And do you really want to hear it on FaceBook?

Posted in

Comments

1. Nathan Kaul, Keller Williams Elite says

I feel like a pioneer racing West in the Gold Rush. As businesses flock to platforms like Facebook and Twitter, it's a sprint to see who can get there and find gold. No one knows what the formula is or if it will work – but everyone agrees it's a place you need to be. I use Facebook and Twitter to educate readers about topics like refinancing and give home selling tips, as well as showcase new listings. I try to make it informative and fun and not too salesy. I don't see social media as the solution, I see it as another spoke in the marketing wheel to be combined with other efforts like networking, direct mail, print ads, etc.

2. Nathan Kaul, Keller Williams Elite says

3. Holly Aldredge says

Isn't it great to have the free advertising? Print advertising is so expensive these days and with online media you can reach more people and give them what they want. Personalization and a conversation.

It can be tricky to keep up with it all, but you gotta work hard to play hard 🙂

4. Holly Aldredge says

It can be tricky to keep up with it all, but you gotta work hard to play hard 🙂

5. Will Grey says

We called USAA and had them refer us to a realtor. We moved to a new city and really didn't know anyone so we went to a trusted source. You'd think a total nerd like me would've used social media, but nah. And we even found the house we bought outside of what the realtor found for us, redfin. Pretty nice website for searching if you live in an area they cover… I doubt social media is what it is cracked up to be, especially in real estate. BUT, every little bit helps and if it doesn't cost too much, I say go for it!

6. Will Grey says