The McDermott House is one of five modern masterpieces on the Preservation Dallas Fall Architectural Tour on Oct. 26.
By Carol Roark, Preservation Dallas
In July 1953 Margaret and Eugene McDermott bought a property across the street from Highland Park Town Hall. Befitting his status as the Chairman of Texas Instruments, the couple needed a residence that could not only house their family, but offer space for them to entertain.
Landscape architects Marie and Arthur Berger, who were formulating plans for the property, suggested that the McDermotts use architect Scott Lyons to design their home. Lyons had, with his mentor and partner O’Neil Ford, designed a house for the Bergers in 1952.
Scott Lyons’ plans for the McDermotts spoke to their appreciation of color as well as to their insistence on elegance and quality.