A desperate reader, whose lease is up and apartment is already rented, could be left homeless if she doesn’t close on her home, but if she does go ahead and close, the repairs that the seller promised to do won’t be completed. Her Realtor said he’s willing to include the cost of repairs in the contract so that they can close, but the buyer wants to make sure that they’re protected, should the seller be reluctant to complete the repairs despite the contract. What should she do?
Read on for the details:
I’m about to the end of my rope as far as my patience is concerned with my home purchase.
The problems started when we had our initial property inspection and a leak was found under a bathroom that had recently been renovated along with bad grounds in nearly half the house, rotten sub floor, a roof that needed replacement, a leaky water heater causing the rotted floor, etc. We, as first time homebuyers in Texas, requested all repairs suggested by the inspector and the sellers agreed and signed a repair amendment.
The entirety of this transaction my husband and I have been pressured to close very quickly and the day of our first walkthrough we found that many items had not been touched at all and original problems remained, resulting in a delay of closing. Now, after the sellers and our agent have had over a week to remedy the situation, we are told again everything is complete and yet again, no it isn’t. Now my closing is scheduled tomorrow morning and I know that some of these items will not be done when I sign, so I am very apprehensive at this point and need some reassurance that the repairs will be completed even if I sign.
So I, under the advice of a trusted friend, called my agent and asked that he type up amendment to the contract that if repairs are not done in a satisfactory way, timeframe, or of we run into issues due to improper repairs down the line they are liable for the cost of repairs, legal fees, and insurance. Now, my agent says ‘Well, I think they will agree to sign a contract amendment but I doubt they will agree to pay legal fees.’ This is leaving me feeling like my agent is not acting in my best interest. What should I do to protect myself in this situation?
What would you advise?