In 1930, the Hillcrest State Bank was formed. Doing well, as banks do, by 1938 they were able to open a George Dahl-designed location on Hillcrest Avenue between Daniel and Haynie avenues. In 1981, Hillcrest State Bank changed its name to Texas Commerce Bank. In 1998, the name was changed again to Chase Bank of Texas and was folded into Chase Manhattan Bank in 2000. In 2004, Ohio’s Bank One was acquired by Chase foreshadowing the bank’s headquarters move to Ohio in 2004 where it remains today.
As you can see, for all the name changes, this building never actually changed hands until the bank had abandoned it. First to try redevelopment was Dallasite Albert Huddleston who envisioned a mixed-use project that never gained traction with University Park officials or neighbors. After a decade he gave up and in 2015 local developer Jim Strode decided to try his luck, which eventually succeeded.
Along with ownership and name changes, there have been structural changes. As the picture above hints, over the years there was some pretty major tinkering to this building.