It was another exciting Saturday night on the tony, tree-lined streets of Highland Park. At 11:49 p.m., a police officer noticed a silver 2012 Toyota Camry sitting in the 4700 block of Abbott Avenue with its high-beams on. After watching the Camry make a rolling left turn onto Knox Street without using a signal, the officer attempted to pull the car over.
Ignoring the patrol vehicle’s lights and siren, the Camry’s driver proceeded north on Central Expressway, reaching speeds nearing 100 mph. The Camry exited the freeway at Caruth Haven Boulevard, and the officer pursued the car on surface streets, sans lights and siren. But he lost sight of the Camry when it crossed several lanes of Northwest Highway to get back on Central.
There were two people inside the Camry. We assume their hearts were racing as fast as their car, because the following break-ins were reported in Highland Park that same evening:
- After 4 p.m., a burglar rifled through a black 2013 Infiniti SUV and a black 2006 BMW SUV, both of which had been left unlocked behind a gate in the 4300 block of Livingston Avenue. Nothing appeared to have been stolen.
- After 5 p.m., a burglar broke into a black Chevrolet Suburban in the 5100 block of Sewanee Avenue and stole four pairs of headphones.
- After 5:30 p.m., a burglar rifled through a BMW X5 that had been left unlocked behind a gate in the 4300 block of Livingston Avenue and stole a Cole Haan wallet containing $40 in cash, three credit cards, a debit card, and a driver’s license. By the time the victim discovered the theft, his American Express card had been charged at a Walgreens and by American Airlines. The burglar ignored a set of golf clubs and a case of shotgun shells that were left in plain sight.
- After 6 p.m., a burglar broke into a white 2013 Mercedes S250 in the 3200 block of Princeton Avenue, but nothing appeared to be stolen.
- After 7 p.m., a burglar broke into a black 2013 Kia Rio in the 3400 block of Princeton Avenue and stole seven pairs of sunglasses.
- After 7 p.m., a burglar entered a black 2007 GMC Yukon that had been left unlocked in the 4300 block of Lorraine Avenue and stole a handicapped placard.
- After 7 p.m., a burglar broke into a white 2003 Ford Explorer in the 3900 block of Mockingbird Lane and stole a set of keys and a Mirage flute.
- After 8:30 p.m., a burglar broke into a black 2009 BMW 528 in the 5200 block of Sewanee Avenue, but nothing appeared to have been stolen.
- After 10 p.m., a burglar tried to break into a black 2011 Range Rover in the 3400 block of Princeton Avenue but only managed to damage a window.
- After 10 p.m., a burglar rifled through a blue 2012 Range Rover that had been left unlocked behind a gate in the 4300 block of Livingston Avenue and stole a credit card and a driver’s license.
Click through for a roundup of other crimes reported in the Park Cities last week: